As many of you know, all Diocesan Schools have adopted the theme of Corporal Works of Mercy (CWM) for the 2014-2015 school year. In our staff meetings prior to the start of school, SJL teachers met, looked at our school calendar, and chose which Works of Mercy to focus on each month. In September, our focus will be: Bury the dead.
· Students in grades K-5 will make placemats and cards for SJL bereavement meals and for Hospice House.
· Middle School students will decorate Welcome Bags for Hospice House.
· We will also be collecting wedding gowns! Yes, wedding gowns! There is a growing ministry to make burial gowns and blankets for stillborn babies and babies who die soon after birth. Learn more here.
On the first Thursday of each month at our school Mass, we will take up a collection. On September 4, students and parishioners are encouraged to donate in one or more of the following ways:
· Money (which will go to Homeless Veterans Burial Fund)
· Wedding gowns for the Angel Gown project
· A package of white paper lunch sacks for Hospice Welcome Bags
· A prayer intention to pray each day or each week in September
If you have any questions or other ideas to reach out to the dying, or if you have ideas for the other Corporal Works of Mercy, please contact Mrs. Robb at firstname.lastname@example.org. Thank you!
Blessings and Peace,